Need A Mold Inspector?
Need Mold Lab Services?
The Truth About Toxic Molds
Can I Use Home Mold Testing Kits?
What Is Mold Testing? How Is Mold Testing Performed?
How Much Do Mold Inspections Cost?
Find a Mold Inspector
Questions To Ask Your Mold Inspector
Request Mold Inspection Referrals
For Mold Inspectors
Chain of Custody (pdf)
How To Submit Mold Samples
Mold Sampling FAQ's
Download Products Catalog (pdf)
Buy Mold Testing Supplies (offsite)
Log-in to LabServe™ (offsite)
Join Our Network of Mold Inspectors
Mold Testing Labs
Unfortunately, mold testing costs vary tremendously. Costs vary from
company to company and mold testing costs vary based on where you live geographically.
We recommend calling at least two (preferably more) mold testing companies to ask for
a price quote and to the following questions:
- What qualifications do you have to perform mold testing?
- What certifications does your company have? What are the qualifications
of your mold inspectors?
(Note: Ask what the certification requirements for any certifications
they have either as a company or the individuals who will be performing the
work. There are many certifications with some requiring much more work than
others. Some are probably quite simple and, unfortunately, do not connote
qualification to perform a mold inspection. Further, some may require a lot
of work, but are not related to nor do they touch on mold itself. Take a
moment to look online to find out what's required for any certifications they list.)
- How many mold inspections did the person who will inspect my property do
in the last year? How long he/she been in this line of work?
- What is your hourly rate?
- What is your philosophy regarding mold sampling?
(Tip: You're looking for conflicts of interest here. Does the mold
inspector always recommend mold testing? Or are there situations where he/she
says mold testing is not needed?)
- What are the costs of each air and surface mold sample?
- How many mold samples do you normally take?
- Do you perform the mold sample analysis yourself? Do you perform mold remediation?
(Tip: You're looking for conflicts of interest here. If they also perform
remediation, they have a vested interest in finding mold to clean up.)
- Do you receive any kickbacks, commissions, or referral fees for sending
work to mold remediators?
- How long has the mold remediator you recommend been in business and what
are their qualifications?
- How long has your mold lab been in business and what are the lab's qualifications?
- Do you have references from work done in the past year that I can call
to ask how the work went?
- What are your payment terms?
(Tip: Be cautious of paying up front for the entire mold testing job.)